The World According to Marney

Friday, May 10

I made a comment at the last S-n-B about my progress as a knitter. Each project I do has at least 1 different feature. I heard the words come out of my mouth, "It's not like I jumped right into an Aran sweater." My next thoughts were why not?

First you have to learn the history of the Aran sweater in Ireland. Or if you prefer, how a dropped stitch gave rise to a popular myth. There is a little discrepency on the dates of these stories. I think there is a bit of romance in the idea that a sweater can be a symbol of love, family and history. That is a big burden for any sweater.

Can't you just see people wandering around the Aran Isles in beautiful, warm, hand knit sweaters. On these shores, I think it is a must.

This is definitely not the original fishing technique for a Fisherman's Wool Aran Pullover Sweater. I wonder if the photographer for this pattern has any concept of other types of fishing. It all looks pretty silly to me.

I am thinking I may go all out on this Aran kick. Once I make my fill of sweaters, I can move on to Aran Afghans. But really, not Aran household is complete without the Aran Isles Teapot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home