The World According to Marney

Thursday, December 4

Buying Yarn Eases My Pain

Book Club
I think our little book club has hit a new low. Althouth there were two of us in attendance, only one of us had finished the book. In a blatent attempt to get people back into this reading thing, I have rescheduled the meeting for next Monday night to try to get more attendees. I figured that Monday is generally a slow night for after work festivities as well as theatre and the earlier in the month we can do it, the more likely we will not yet hit that travel time of the month. In theory. It makes me wonder if this group needs to have a bit of restructuring. I will definitely ponder.

Smiley's Hotel Sale
Before meeting for the book club, Roberta and I stopped in at the Smiley's Hotel Yarn Sale. I couldn't pass up an opportunity to spend money on yarn that I don't really need right now. I managed to get away with less than $65 for 30 balls of yar, a box of stitch markers and 1 set of circular needles. Most everything at the sale was in bags of 10. The prices ranged from $10 Red Heart to $70 alpaca per bag. I got 2 bags (at $15 per bag - around 1/2 price) of Plymouth Encore Colorspun DK, one in dark blue and one in a white, yellow, blue varigation and a bag (at $25 per bag - about 15% off) of Lite-Lopi from Reynolds in a dark blue. I don't have anything in mind yet for this yarn, but I really had to walk away from the sale with a garbage bag of my own.

I am thinking about using the lopi for My Constant Companion. I am very interested in getting into the foray of felting. I have not intentionally done that yet. (Many times unintentionally before I understood it all.)

Other Knitting Debacles
I have been trying to find my hats that I made last winter every since the weater started getting cold. I don't have a huge apartment, so I really don't know how I can't find them. Anyway, I decided to whip up a simple hat with some of the acrylic yarn I have lying around. Double stranding makes for a speedy US 10 1/2 needle instant gratification project. I pull out my Denise needles and start at it. I got about 4 inches up and my cord broke! The hard plastic piece just past the connection snapped. I was not a happy camper. No hat, a broken needle and numerous dropped stitches. Needless to say, I put that project down for a while. I did manage to find my hat this morning, but I'm still a bit upset. Now I have to order a new cord for my set. Grumble, grumble.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home