The World According to Marney

Thursday, November 20

Introspection

Warning, it can get a little deep in here (and I don't necessarily mean profound).

Last night, I didn't write. I didn't knit. I didn't watch the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show. I didn't get much reading done. No. Last night I went to the theatre, again. I should really be in the industry again with as much as I go to see shows.

Anyway, this show is Austin Pendleton's latest New York theatre production, called Another Vermeer. It's about an art forger/dealer that is charged with treason for selling a historical painting and nation Dutch treasure to the Nazis. I have to say, I did enjoy this more than some of the latest shows I have been witness to. In any case, as Nolan directed Austin in Chekhov's Rifle, we met up with him and a couple of other people for a bite after the play.

I guess it was at about 1:30 AM when I was getting home that I realized that this is not normal. I mean, stuff like having dinner with a film actor is not something that most other people do, ever. I can't say this is the first time I have been in social situations with Academy Award winners, Tony Award winners, icons of stage and screen, notable playwrights and screenwriters, directors, choreographers and other entertainment celebrities. Come to think of it, most people in this world only go to the theatre on occasion and not every week. It really sank in that very few people from my hometown or even in other facets of my life, like work, ever get closer to celebrities than their TV sets or movie screens. In fact, I would bet that a majority of the people from my high school have never been to a play outside of the all district musical production of Fiddler on the Roof (ironically, a show that Austin performed on Broadway).

I think these thoughts were spurred on by one of the guys last night who was taking an evening out away from his wife and son in Philadelphia to go back into the theatre scene of NYC. Sometimes I think about what my life would have been if I would have made a few decisions differently. To tell you the truth, that whole idea just creeps me out. I mean no disrespect to anyone out there, but I cannot imagine living the life that I could have had; living in a small town with a family of my own, taking kids to soccer practive in a minivan or SUV, having the only interaction with adults outside of work revolve around the PTA or parents of friends of my kids, living in a house (probably with a mortgage), having to drive everywhere, watching the life I currently have a taste of from the comforts of my livingroom, trying only to imagine what life would be like if I made different decisions in life. It's not that I am unhappy (definitely not) or unsatisfied (not likely), I am only curious about the differences that can come about in life. We all start out with everything ahead of us and then life narrows down our choices as we go along.

Okay, now I'm rambling. Why can't I ramble like this when I am in novel writing mode. I feel a wave of literary mediocrity coming on. I better put this word count to good use.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home