The World According to Marney

Thursday, December 11

Sad News

I just found out that Nolan's Grandmother passed away yesterday. This is not unexpected, as her health had been declining for a while. I'm afraid I have been a bit out of it this morning because of it. I found out in an e-mail from Nolan's sister-in-law (who I met at Thanksgiving), which then led me to hunt down Nolan, who I hadn't talked to since Tuesday night. To make a long story short, despite my numerous offers and inquiries about going with him to the funeral, I will not be attending. I know that he is a very strong person that does not need to have someone there to lean on, but wouldn't it be nice to have someone there just for him? Well, the offer still stands, and if I get a phone call telling me otherwise, I will be there.

I have to say, I have been very blessed to not have many funerals within my own family. I have been to wakes, funerals and memorials, not to mention sitting shiva (not common with my protestant roots) for family members of my friends. In fact, the passing of Nolan's grandmother is the third death of a family member of one of my close friends this year.

I have to admit, I am feeling rather emotional about "Nana" passing. I only met her once, at Thanksgiving when we bonded over knitting. I had heard stories about her. I mended one of the sweaters that she made for Nolan so he could wear it in a family fashion show (that didn't happen). I even knew about the big birthday party that the family threw for her last spring, even though I didn't attend. Maybe I am too much of an empathetic person. I don't know. I don't even know what to say anymore, and you all know how I can ramble on.

I'm glad I got a chance to meet her. I am even more glad that she and I could share an afternoon talking about the family and knitting (the great unifier). From the very little that I got to know of her, she was a wonderful lady with a family that loved her dearly. My heart goes out to all of the family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home