The World According to Marney

Tuesday, August 13

Yesterday, I got a couple of sketches for a potential knitting gig. In an ideal world, I would love to make these hats and scarves for a girls' soccer team. BUT, problem #1: They want 40 sets by December. For some strange reason, I don't think speed knitter over here can do that many hats and scarves for shipment in December. In any case, I put together a chart for the scarf (they want WOLVES and stars on it) to get an idea about what they want. If I do say so, the chart looks good and would definitely be plausible. Problem #2: This isn't really a problem just a bit odd, they want everything done in Tahki Cotton Classic. I feel really weird making so many cotton hats and scarves. Shouldn't there be something in there for warmth??? Anyway, I went home and tried the chart with some left over Cotton Classic. It works well (for a cotton scarf) and would give a 4 foot by 9 inch scarf. I figure that it would take about 5 skeins of yarn per scarf with the left over and 1 more skein for the hat. That means for supplies alone, we are taking about $24-30 per set. I don't really know a going rate for time and "talent" when charging for projects. I have heard that 3 times the cost of supplies is a good price. So, they are looking at $90 cotton hats and scarves. To top it all off, I would most likely only be able to do about 10 sets by the time they want them. And that would be postponing my projects. Yes, Jackie, I have already factored in going to work and having a bit of a life.

With all that being said, I am bringing my swatch, chart and sketches to S-n-B tonight to get further opinions. I would even be willing to share this project with someone if they would be up for it. I would totally do it but the whole project is way too much for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home