The World According to Marney

Thursday, January 9

The book club was a lot of fun last night. There were two very welcomed newcomers, Amy and Joy, who both found our book club through this site. I am glad that I can use my rambling skills to actually bring people together with common interests. We had a great discussion about The Awakening by Kate Chopin. It was really good to look at themes and metaphors and other literary nuances that are hidden in classical literature. I think I have become a snob when it comes to literature. Contemporary writing just doesnít give me the same fulfillment as the old stuff. As we talked about it last night, these books are called classics for a reason.

In any case, if you have not read The Awakening, go out and pick it up. Considering it was written in 1899, it is a really wonderful feminist work. For you non-readers, it is only about 150 pages or so. For that matter, it can be found in it's entirety (as well as some of her short stories) here on the PBS website. If you really like it, check out the site for the PBS program, Kate Chopin: A Re-Awakening.

I think I will leave today's entry as a purely literary one. Everything else will have to wait until tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home