The World According to Marney

Monday, July 21

I Am A Camera

Well, not really, but I'm feeling theatrical. Anyway, I got by new camera on Saturday. I really didn't expect it until sometime later this week or next week sometime. Hey, I won't complain!

Anyway, I didn't have a whole lot of time to play with it this weekend, cuz I'm a busy girl. But I did get a shot of my yarn fairy afghan that I was working on a bit.


So you may ask, what did I do to make me not spend quality time with my new toy this weekend. Well, I spent a good chunk of Saturday afternoon helping out at an audition. It gave me a chance to get a few rows done on the afghan. After that, Nolan and I went to dinner at the ever tasty, Chat 'n' Chew. Nothing like comfort food to keep your spirits up. Then we caught a show at the The Gershwin Hotel which featured his friends Singer & Saw aka Sarah Worthington and Nathan Carver. The show was interesting. There were a lot of not so funny comedy acts, but there were a few acts that were pretty well done. The hotel, on the other hand was freightening. I think I need to spend a little time on the description of this place.

Imagine, if you will, an architecturally historical building with crown molding carved into the plaster of the walls and ceiling, pillars and fireplaces with ornate decorative wood carvings and marbled flooring. Sounds like a beautiful space that has maintained its historical integrity. Now imagine taking that space and decorating it with Andy Worhol-esque design, Roy Lichtenstein works, fiberglass "horns" jutting from the outside facade, and modern, jewel toned furniture. Oh, but that is not even the half of it. Every wire in the building was exposed and hanging from the walls or ceiling. In the main lobby, these wires were bound up in a long, red cloth sheath that ran the length of the room, hanging from the ceiling like a scarlet worm. In the room where the show took place, the giant, carved wood fireplace was surrounded by track lighting (again with expose wires) and wallpaper with the statue of liberty in fromt of a star with a pinkish glow. The phrase eclectic does not do this space any justice. There is no way, one person could have mixed this many design choices into one building. It must have been a team of blind, design students that had left over projects they needed to unload. Or maybe there is a form of dyslexia for design.

Well, between all of that and hanging with friends on Sunday, I only started to get into the functionality of the camera last night. I hope to get a bit more under my belt tonight. Maybe get some pictures of those elusive FOs that I claim to have completed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home