The World According to Marney

Thursday, May 30

Here are more Personal Yarns

"School days, school days, good ole..."

1. Where did you attend school as a child? (the first 6 years or so...) What do you remember about the building and the playground?
I went to Glenwood Heights Elementary School in Brush Prairie, WA. Although the whole school has changed since I was there, I remember the playground as having: A red and white merry-go-round right in the center, 2 tetherball poles with 1 white tetherball and 1 yellow tetherball, big swings (I think around 8 in total), 2 or 3 teeter totters, an iron dome shaped jungle gym, 2 pipe structures that formed bars like the uneven bars in gymnastics. All of this stuff was on a bed of wood chips. Due to the fact that Washington has a lot of rain, the covered part of the playground was big enough to fit 60+ kids playing Four-Square and hopscotch.

2. Do you remember your first day? your teacher's name? best friends? your favorite activity?
I don't remember much about my earliest years there. My teacher's name was Mrs. Yarborough. She was a very kind and soft spoken. I remember many more of my friends from later years of Elementary School; Emmy (as posted with her new baby a few days ago), Kim, Judy, Brandi, Aaron and Timmy (from the house around the corner). I loved (and still do) to read. I would read everything.

3. What sort of lunch box did you have? What was usually in it?
I remember that I had a metal lunchbox of some sort but I don't remember what it was of. I also remember having an orange tupperware lunch box that kept everything "fresh". Mostly I had the typical sandwich lunches. I have always been a picky eater so PB&J was a staple.

4. Describe yourself as an elementary school student.
I was quiet unless I was around my friends. I was shy unless I was playing. I was always reading and trying to learn new things. Man those days were fun. Judy and Kim were my partners in crime most of the time. We solved mysteries, a la Nancy Drew. We made up stories, games and songs. Our imaginations had no limit.

Actually, I just went back home in March to open a time capsule that my class put together when I was in the 3rd grade. That was when I found out about the changes in the school. It was really wild to see everything that we thought was important back then, like Star Wars action figures. Some things never change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home