The World According to Marney

Tuesday, March 18

Again with this wonderful weather! Yesterday we were in the 70s, today the 60s. I am ready for Spring to come on Thursday. It has been a cold winter. But I've got my wool to keep me warm. I know, I can't help me goofiness.

I started sock number two last night. I got so excited to start it that I even got up a bit early today to work on it. I agree with Sandy that having two different socks makes "second sock symdrome" disappear. Well, they are not that different. Just enough to make it interesting for the knitter.

Ok, I can't sit back and let this whole Iraq thing just get untouched by my opinionate views. Afterall, this is The World According to Marney. I listened to the speech Bush gave last night and continued to wander if he and his supporters are actually listening to the words coming out of his mouth.

1) At what point does the United States get to ask for the resignation of another world leader? If you think about this logically, that is absolutely ridiculous. Almost as ridiculous as Saddam Hussein asking for Bush to step down.

2) Who are we to say that after we take out the leader of one country, we will help to set up a "free country" for the people that have just been devistated by war? This is wrong on so many levels. There are so many ways to run a country that aren't "free" as the western world sees it. That doesn't make it wrong if they don't live like we do. That makes them different, something that "freedom" should respect instead of impose. Having our ideas and philosophies forced on a people that do not want them after we have ravaged their country, politically, physically and psychologically can only lead to distrust and resentment on a whole new level. That will just make Hussein and his followers martyrs and heros that died or were ousted for what they believe in.

3) There is a big world out there with a lot of opinions that do not go along with these bully tactics. Bush is putting us into the role of the International Vigilantes. We are anticipating a problem and "taking care" of it before there is a problem. Don't get me wrong, I think all weapons of mass distruction in all countries should be destroyed.

4) That brings me to the massive double standard that we are all living with and totally ignoring. We allow certain countries to have these powerful weapons (US included) but others cannot. Why are any of them allowed to exist? How can we even pretend to have a peaceful world when there are weapons enough to blow up the entire planet numerous times over in the collective stockpiles of the "Free World?"

5) How can so many people be brainwashed by this rhetoric? Why can't the American public look beyond the the words that come out of this man's mouth? For a while I thought I would give him the benefit of the doubt in using a scare tactic to bring to light some attrocities that would warrent the world to rally behind his camp. I thought he might be using this as a platform to get people moving. The more I hear from him, the more I realized that I gave him too much credit. He does not have the proof to warrent a single handed (or close to it) attack, let alone global intervention against Iraq.

6) Has anyone else noticed how he keeps trying to pair up Iraq with Al Queda? They have not been in cahoots. Yes, it's possible that terrorists may find a haven in Iraq, but Hussein was not a part of the 9/11 attacks. Bush keeps trying to make these two factions one in the same. They are not. Ok, it's possible that terrorists could get weapons from Iraq but couldn't they also get them from Korea, France, Germany, Russia or any other country we are currently pissing off???

I can't keep going on this because I am now thinking about moving to Switzerland. Our country is being run by a man that is brainwashing (or trying to) his people into believing something a good portion of the world can see through. It makes me so very angry that we have to go through this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home