The World According to Marney

Monday, March 24

So, I came into the office this morning to find even MORE yarn at my desk. That's right, I clearly have acquired a yarn fairy. With all of the pain and chaos and misery in the world, I have been blessed by generous family and friends that support my growing yarn addiction. Now, keep in mind, all of the yarn that was given to me are big, ol' skeins of acryllic in colors that are not found in nature. Nonetheless, I am never one to look a gift horse in the mouth. Day-glo pink yarn has a place, though, I'm not really sure where. I was able to find a combination of the brown and bright lime in a cute little kiwi baby hat, complete with little black "seeds." (Can't get too far away from the fruit hats, can I!)

I am thinking about signing up for a sock-of-the-month club. I like the idea of new, "random" yarn coming to me each month. I have looked into theknitter.com, ptyarn.com (now defunct) and Red Bird Knits. I think I am leaning toward theknitter.com. Anyone out there have any thoughts on these clubs?

On a dietary note, I have become addicted to Honey Wheat Thins. They are a wonderful balance of sweet and salty without being too horribly bad for you. They're a lot better for you than chocolate covered pretzels! Since I discovered them last week, I have managed to scarf down about 3 boxes. Maybe I'll have some now...

I have held my tongue about this little conflict overseas for a while. But last night on the news, I was really appalled by some of the coverage. Ok, to have a daily run down of who is missing and shot down and captured, is really morbid and disturbing on many levels. I'm sure this is really a new concept in reporting on a war. We have so much covorage of every thing over there that there is no anonymity in fighting any longer. It makes me wonder if we had this kind of communication technology back in the early part of the 20th Century, would WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam be as prolonged. I mean, right now the general tv viewing audience can get the name rank and serial number of every captured, killed or wounded soldier at the end of the day. This makes the war much more personal. Every American can put a name and face to every sterile statistic.

Another moment of awe in the media's grand scope of insanity hit me when at the top of the newscast, after the main headlines, they cut away to the weatherman who proceded to forecast the weather in Baghdad, well before the regularly scheduled local weather. I don't mean to take away from any significance of the conflict, but for Joe Q. Public sitting on his couch in Queens, what does a storm coming from Syria mean? It means that our lives here in the States have been put on hold. All of our news, weather, politics and concerns are centered around the Middle East. It means that we are losing the war on terrorism, because we can't live our own lives. It means that with all of the information that we are doused with on a moment by moment basis, we are fixated on the stuff we can't know or change from the wildcard countries. I seem to recall the words of wisdom resounding after the fall of the Trade Conter, "Business as Usual." Now, I agree that it is hard to get through a time so full of uncertainty and unrest with such a nonchalant attitude, but if you do not have some sort of normalcy in your daily life, you have given into the terror of terrorism.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home