The World According to Marney

Friday, February 27

Tradition!

Without a whole lot of planning, I found myself at the opening of Fiddler on the Roof last night. Now, I am very familiar with this show, not because I have seen it performed many times or performed in it. No. The only live performance I saw of it beforelast night was in my high school. And that was remarkably not Jewish. My father used to play the music from the show on the piano when I was younger. I also saw the movie a few times. Nonetheless, I sang along with the entire show.

It was a very interesting evening. It started out with a big todo on the opposite side of the orchestra. I had no idea what happened until this morning when I found out that a woman had a heart attack before the show started. There were sitings of Bebe Neuwirth (looking beautiful as always), Lynn Redgrave, Brian Stokes Mitchell and Savion Glover. Jeff Goldblum was sitting about 2 or 3 rows in front of me with a VERY amaciated woman on his arm. It added to the irony when Tevye sang If I Were A Rich Man and chimed in with the line "I see my wife, my Golde, looking like a rich man's wife
With a proper double-chin." The woman in the audience was so thin that I could see not only her ribs, but the separate bones in her upper arm. She clearly was not poverty stricken, in her designer dress. How times change.

Well, after the show, Nolan and I started a new game of "Musical Timeline" at dinner. This is when you put the time of the musical in a timeline to make them part of a continuum. For example. Fiddler would fit somewhere between Music Man and Titanic. Perhaps nearer to Mary Poppins. Not that there is any specific year mentioned, this is of course a guess.

Oh, how was the show, you ask? It was quite nice. I enjoyed it. I did think that there was not a whole lot of enthusiasm in the First Act. The actor who played Motel, John Cariani, seemed to hold onto a moment a shade too long for a laugh. Other than that, I think it was a pretty good production.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home