The World According to Marney

Wednesday, May 24

Jury Duty

I was called in to do my Civic Duty beginning today. Nothing like uprooting my job and life for sitting in a room with a bunch of strangers, all loathing the situation. There were quite a few people who left early to defer their service because of various reasons. Probably because we were told to anticipate being there for no less than 3 days and as much as 2 weeks. Like the trooper that I am, I decided to stick it out.

By lunch, not a single case. It wasn't until about 3 that they finally called jurors for a trial. I wasn't in that group, but then the odds were in my favor, since there were about 150-200 people waiting along with me.

Then at about 4PM, we were told that the trials were moving slowly and there would be another bunch of jurors tomorrow. So, we had officially served and can't be called for another 4 years. That's right, not even a full day and I'm free of Jury Duty until 2010.

I'm not going to lie. There was a twinge of superiority in knowing that those suckers that bailed in the morning will have to serve in the very near future for, most likely, a lot longer than one day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home