The World According to Marney

Monday, August 21

The Summer of my Discontent

This blog is starting to sound like a broken record..."It's too hot"..."I hate summer"..."Grumble, grumble"... Well, this entry is going to add to my grumpiness. I have achieved another low in my summer misery. That's right, I have lost electricity.

Yesterday afternoon as I went home from spending time with Peter, there was a sign on my building's front door. "There is no hot water. The boiler is down. It is a Con Ed problem that won't be fixed until 8/21." Fine, I can deal with a break in my hot water, particularly in the hot summer months.

I made it upstairs, through the lighted hallway only to discover that I can't turn on any lights or anything that might be plugged into the wall. Not happy. 88 degrees at about 6PM and the sun was slowly slipping into the horizon. Luckily, Peter was there with me and reminded me that there are a number of (not-so reasonably priced) hotels in the area that are likely full of electricity. After I kicked him and called him a smart-ass, he offered to share his electricity with me.

I remembered to add to the statistic of calls made to 311 to inform Con Ed that they suck. I was informed that my lack of power is of the utmost importance to them and they will push my call to the top of the gi-normous heap of dis-satisfied customers without power. For some reason, I don't have a whole lot of faith in Con Ed's ability to fix these problems quickly. Just ask the folks in Queens and Staten Island.

In a brighter note, I went to see Little Miss Sunshine over the weekend. This is a must see movie for anyone that thinks their family is wack-a-noodle, has dreams of escaping their small life or just likes to see Alan Arkin, Steve Carell, Toni Collette and Greg Kinnear do what they all do best. I laughed so much in this movie. It's smart and funny.

Oh, and thanks for all the well-wishes. I am feeling much better. That icky stomach bug stuck around for about 5 days. So, I don't think I'm allergic to New Jersey. I don't think it was motion sickness. I don't think it was something I ate. I think it was just my involunatary attempt at bulemia. (I didn't care for it and will probably steer clear of it in the future.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home