The World According to Marney

Friday, May 9

I have decided that the shawl is not something that I can work on whenever. This epiphany came after I had to "tink" (read: knit backwards or unknit) a complete patern repeat last night. One droped stitch in a lacy shawl with lace weight yarn makes for difficult pickups. Clearly, this is my concentration project.

Towels are ready to be washed and pressed now. I finished stitching the last one last night. I think there may be some loose ends on one of them but I'm ready to call them a finished object.

Well, my postponed trip out to see the Matisse Picasso exhibit at MoMA is set for tomorrow. I have the prepaid tickets in hand. That's right, you have to buy timed tickets in advance in order to see this exhibit. I'll be there at 5 pm with a few friends that need a cultural fix and a trek into Queens.

I havn't been to the new, temporary home of MoMA yet. I admit that I didn't go there all that often when it was only 3 blocks away from my apartment. I think part of it is it is SOOOO expensive for a museum. Most museums have an suggested donation of about $5-$10 to get in. That means that if you are not so wealthy, you can give a buck or two or even a sad, I-am-trying-to-fill-my-unemployed-days-with-a-little-culture-so-let-me-in face and still get inside. MoMA is $20 admission, no ifs, ands, or buts. Even my special priviledges for working for a company that financially contributes to many museums in this city don't get me that far with these money hungry curators. (Because most curators get into the business for the vast financial rewards they can reap.) But then again, I guess that would be why they can afford to totally rebuild their current home in Manhattan and still keep the museum going in their temporary home in Queens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home