The World According to Marney

Tuesday, June 3

Well, I made it back in one piece. It was a very wonderful, yet adventure filled weekend. I could tell you about the "scenic route" that Nolan's step mother talked us into taking, only to add 3 hours and another state onto our drive time. Or, I could tell you about running out of gas on the NY Throughway and waiting for an hour on the side of the road.. I could mention the torential rains that started on Saturday morning and didn't end until Sunday night, which made the previously scheduled outdoor wedding an impromptu indoor wedding. But I won't dwell on those things.

First of all, let's touch on the wedding. It was very nice. It took place in The Barn just outside of Ithaca, NY. Strangely, it is just as you would imagine a barn that was renovated into a catering hall would be, complete with drafts and antique (yet sometimes unidentifiable) farming equipment. The ceremony was brief; the bride was beautiful; the food was tasty; the flowers made me sneeze, unstoppably.

When we arrived in Ithaca, we made a beeline to Moosewood Restaurant. They are most famous for their cookbooks. Nonetheless, we had some fabulous vegetarian food. If you are ever in the Ithaca area, even for you carnivores out there, do not pass up the opportunity to eat at Moosewood. You will be happy you did.

Much to our surprise, we were in town in time for the Ithaca Festival. On Saturday, they turned downtown into a street fair with music, magicians, food and crafts. Aside from the downpour, it was fun. Not only did we get to check out the shops and restaurants, but we got to wander through the booths of the local vendors at the same time.

On the way back home, we decided to make a little side trip. Since neither of us had ever been to central or eastern New York before, we took the opportunity to stop in at the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum in Cooperstown, NY. I can't say that I am a huge baseball fan, well, I really don't follow the game much, but I really enjoyed this museum. Okay, it was a bit baseball heavy. I can totally see how little boys (like the 28-year-old I was traveling with) get so excited about going in to see all of the memorabilia, statistics, baseball cards, uniforms, history and honorary plaques that they have on display. It is a bit overwhelming. The thing I was most impressed with was the fact that the statistics are all CURRENT. As in up to date with at-bats, strike outs, winning games pitched and so forth. That is not something you see much in a museum. Very cool.

I think that about covers the highlights of my weekend. Oh, I did bring my aran sweater with me to work on. But, between being navagator and radio station hunter, not much knitting happened for me. But I did get the yarn for the baby blanket project. I started in on the hat

and booties

that I will give to MJ tomorrow so she can have something tangible to give at the shower.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home