The World According to Marney

Tuesday, December 30

End of an Era

As I walked to work this morning, I saw something that made me rather sad. The FAO Schwarz store on Fifth Avenue - featured in the movie Big - is closing. There are big signs on the windows about the store closing. I can't say that I shopped there very often, mostly because I don't have a need for many toys, but I always liked to go in and wander through the vast rooms of stuffed animals. I remember spending hot summer days cooling off in Legoland, building all kinds of stuff. Of course that was before they took that feature away and made it much less interactive.

FAO Schwarz

I shouldn't be very surprised. I had heard that they were having more financial problems. But, I didn't think that their flagship store would be on the chopping block.

In more disturbing news, I think we are losing the war on rats. As I was walking down the street last night, I came across 2 rather large rats (the size of small cats) fighting on the sidewalk. Well, maybe they weren't fighting, they could have been playing, I don't know. In any case, that was one of the very few times when I felt physically uncomfortable on the streets of New York. I felt silly crossing the street for a few feet just to avoid them, but there was no way I was going to take my chances with feisty rodents.
rats

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home