The World According to Marney

Wednesday, February 11

Thoughts on Cell Phone Users

Not that I am so militant about cell phone users as Ayelet is, but there are a few things that have happened in the past 24 hours that lead me to believe that people are taking these devices a bit too seriously for their own good.

First and most tragically, a woman was killed by a subway train after trying to retrieve her dropped cell phone from the subway tracks. Now, I have to admit that I am not a native over here, but I know that those tracks are a)a long way down, b) the only way a train can get into a station and swerving is not an option and c) slimy and filthy, thus not easy to maneuver. Not to mention, trains do not really have the ability to stop on a dime. That being said, when you see that your cell phone get tossed onto the tracks, would going down to pick up a phone be the best option? Sadly for the 19-year-old Queens girl, not so much.

Second, I was some what of a witness to an assault over a cell phone last night. At the theatre, I saw one of the ushers looking like he was in pain, only to find out that a patron punched him in the chest after the usher told him that he couldn't be on his cell phone in the theatre. Not only is cell phone usage in a theatre illegal and punishable by a $50.00 fine, it is down right rude. The irony of it all was the patron was standing right next to the sign that said he couldn't use cell phones. So, as the curtain was going up, a swarm of cops and an EMS worker showed up to talk to the usher and take the patron away from the theatre. The usher went to the hospital and then went to file a police report.

These are just phones, people. This should not be life or death. This is not something that important. What is wrong with these people?

Now on to my fiber world. Thanks again to Sandy for her inspiration, I found myself at Peace Fleece buying yarn for the Striped Angora Raglan in the current Interweave Knits Magazine. Of course, it wouldn't be angora, and I may be off with gauge, but I can definitely make something like it in
Galooboy Blue with stripes in
Kamchatka Seamoss,
Moldova Burgandy and
Violet Vyehchyeerom.

Can't wait until these all com in!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home