The World According to Marney

Friday, March 28

When I first read this article, I got a little upset. My knitterly sensiblities were insulted. But the more I think about it, the more I should feel sorry for the author of the article. She clearly does not understand that domesticity is not a step backwards for feminism. I, personally, think choosing to knit, crochet, cook, sew or any other domestic or crafty venture is giving power back to that activity. We no longer need to be trapped in a kitchen or at a spinning wheel or anything like that. These are activities that we can do for the sheer enjoyment, creativity and productivity, which are intrinsic qualities in most things domestic.

In a world where we are given mass produced food, clothes, news and ideas, creating something unique is the most powerful thing any human can do an this earth. Knitting and other "women's work" may not change the outcome of the world politics but it will make us each better people.

It's also akin to the idea of women becoming women again. In the 60s and 70s, women gave up a lot of their femininity for feminism. Being a feminist does not mean women should become more like men. It means that the ideas and tasks and other traditions that are associated with the old school stereotypes of women need to get new meanings. They are not the ties that keep us down, but what make us special and wonderful creatures.

I like being political about my knitting. Maybe I'll start up a protest rally against the knitter-haters out there.

In my creative endeavors, I worked on my fraternal sock the other night at the theatre. I love the way the pair is coming out. They look enough the same that you can tell they are a pair but upon closer inspection, they are different creatures. It's like those cheesy visual puzzles they give to children to enhance their cognative skills.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home