The World According to Marney

Friday, October 10

I'm still here

I think I have just about reached my limit on traveling. I landed in the Portland, OR area on Monday. Keep in mind that this is only 2 days after I got back home from New Orleans. I feel like I haven't gotten a good night's sleep in about 3 months. I have to admit that all of this chaos is starting to wear on me. To make things more interesting, I have a very full week ahead of me with family and friends.

Yesterday, I took a 2 hour trip dwom to Eugene, OR for the rehearsal for the wedding that inspired this trip. Before I got there, I met a friend for lunch in Corvallis. I got to see her cutie little boy. He's about 15 months old and cute as a button.

After that brief moment of catching up, it was off to Spencer's Butte for the rehearsal. As I had never participated in a pagan wedding before, I figured it was a good idea that I pay attention. Especially when I got a speaking role. I got to be one of the "Quarters," namely North/Earth. After the detailed coaching, we all went to dinner at Pizza Research Institute for some pretty amazing pizza. I had never had pizza with corn on the cob before. It really was quite delicious.

Then came the two hour drive back to Mom & Dad's house. If I would have thought it through, I would have gotten a room in Eugene for the night, but no, silly me decides to make the trip down twice.

So I get back to the park this morning at about 11 AM for the casting of the circle. The weather was pretty beautiful for the ceremonies. We got a couple of hours of sun for the pictures, too.

I have to say, the ceremony was really beautiful. There was clearly a focus on nature and spirituality without taking things into a highly religious realm. Okay, so having to "cut a doorway" into the circle that was cast seemed pretty goofy, but if that's what they want, I will be happy to go along with it. Also, I have never had to hold a bowl of dirt at a wedding before. (It goes back to the earth thing.)

The reception was back at the couple's "house." Well, actually the house on the lot that they park their winnebago. As I got there, a tarp was being stretched along the back yard. This was also about the time that the rain started coming down and the wind started really blowing. After a few quick thinking wedding party members got things rolling, the tarp (torn twice by the billowing gales) was pitched for the carport.

I have pictures of the circle casting, the sunlight picture taking time and a little of the reception yard, until the battery in the camera died. I struck a deal with another of the bride's maids (ironically who also works at Hairspray and is dating someone I worked with on a past show) to swap pictures.

Well, that's all I can go on about right now. I'll try to post some photos soon and tell you abount the 6 (although I was promised 7) wedding cakes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home