The World According to Marney

Friday, February 13

Downtown Yarn Crawl 2004

Well, I think I came up with a general plan for this weekend. I am all about finding new and familiar yarn stores downtown. It is time for me to really get my fingers into some skeins and feel the love.

So here is what I came up with (with the help of Rand McNally in the mapping department and Liz's crafty resource page in finding addresses):



Now I know that there are some of these shops that may or may not be open during the weekend and others may not be just for shopping.

So, I think I'll start with Knit New York on 14th Street between First and Second. Maybe grab a bite for lunch since there is a cafe. Then I can walk down to Magry Knits on East 7th Street. I think this is a small shop with hand spun and dyed yarns. Next will be a walk over to Downtown Yarns. We all know my love affain with this shop. MAKE workshop interests me as a place to take all kinds of classes. They don't really have too much to offer in the way of a store since their business is really geared toward their classes. But since I'll be in the neighborhood, I might as well check it out. Then I can head across town to Purl at Sullivan and Houston. Not only do they carry the alpaca I just used on the sweater, but they have a few other yarns that I have been looking at for possible projects. Can you smell the excitement? P&S Fabrics is probably not in the cards for this trip since I am thinking about a Saturday journey and they are closed on Saturday. But, for the sake of my map, I kept it in. Finally, Seaport Yarn is all the way downtown at William and Fulton. They always have a ton of sales - or so I have heard. In fact, if you bring them a Valentine card anytime through this Sunday, they'll give you 10% off you yarn purchase. Isn't that adorable?

So, five stores in an afternoon (with a possible sixth just for looking). Too ambitious or just crazy? I guess I'll let you know next week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home