The World According to Marney

Friday, October 15

Some days are good, Some days suck

Today, the last day at the job I hate, the day of the conference I have been working like a fiend for, the day I have been waiting for all month, fell apart in every possible way.

No, the conference was wonderful. Went without a hitch.

The job is long gone. No more evil, abusive boss.

Facing a weekend of non-stop sleep.

So, what, say you, could possibly be wrong?

I got laid off. From a job I had not yet started. Anyone able to beat that one? Quitting one job and being laid off from another in the same day. How much sucking could there possibly be?

Apparently, there were money issues raised by the Duch company that runs the theatre company. They laid off 12 people with in the firm, giving them 30 days notice to move out. 4 of those 12 positions were the ones with the outsourcing company (including mine), 8 were regular full time staffers from all areas of the company; some who had been there for years and even decades. Well, in an attempt to not totally screw me, my once and future boss (although not for very long) spent all day yesterday and part of the day today hunting me down (I was at said conference with a dead cell phone) to see if I could rescind my notice at the old company. Of course, that is not really a possibility as they have already engaged someone else for the position - nor do I particularly want it to be an option.

So, the theatre company has delayed notifying the staffing company until Monday, at which point I will actually be employed by them and they can't rescind their offer to me, and have to deal with me as an actual employee.

So, what does this mean?

I don't know. I am going in to work as though nothing has happened. Since my employment is through the staffing company, it is thought that I will be employed for the 30 days that is remaining in the contract. Although, that is not for sure. It could be that they cut their losses and just let me go. At which point (or after the 30 days), I will actually be laid off and could qualify for unemployment. There is also a very slight possibility (VERY SLIGHT) that they could place me somewhere else.

I can't believe that it was just 2 weeks ago that these two companies were fighting over who got to employ me.

I am going to go into a bit of a coma for a while. I hope things will just magically change between now and Monday, when I walk into my new job as though there was nothing wrong. A girl can dream, can't she?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home