The World According to Marney

Tuesday, May 25

This Is One Crazy City

I was working at the theatre tonight, as I do most every Tuesday. As I was opening my counter for the "Walk Out," the house manager and ushers were busily locking all but 2 of the front doors to the theatre. Since there was around 1500+ people sitting in the auditorium and the final number was well under way (but not yet at the curtain call), I thought that would be a bit WRONG.

Well, come to find out, there was some sort of police action happening just outside the theatre involving the ever interesting Roseland Ballroom across the street. I guess some guy parked his motorcycle in front of the theatre and proceded to get arrested in Roseland. The NYPD, being full of fear from who-knows-what decided to evacuate the entire block for the removal of the motorcycle.

Now, being someone of relative sanity, I realized that if it were a real emergency, they would not have let the cast continue with the show and made the building evacuate in a much more rushed manner. So, I really didn't care what they were doing. I continued to do my job.

A police officer (Grumpy McCopperson) came in, before the last of the patrons were even down the stairs from the mezzanine and told me that I had to close up shop. Fine, but I was in the middle of helping someone and decided that as I am pretty quick and competant, I can accommodate the patrons I was helping as I was closing up shop. Fine. Whatever. Still not convinced that there is a problem. (BTW the motorcycle in question was literally on the other side of the wall I was standing next to.)

Grumpy came back after attempting to herd more of the 1500+ people out the 2 available doors and yelled at me for not being closed up. I told him I was taking care of it and he had to be patient. Grumpy then pulled the "Do you know what is going on out there" crap, to which I said, yes and continued on my diligent way.

When I finally got downstairs to get my things (in no big hurry), the rest of the staff was in a frenzy (surprize all). I grabbed my belongings and proceded out one of the doors that was previously loocked, only to find a group of tourists standing next to the motorcycle in question, taking pictures. The cops had removed the barracades and all was back to normal - aside from the motorcylce still being in the same place. The traffic directing had stopped. People were no longer forbidden from walking to Broadway - diverted to Eighth Avenue.

So, could someone please tell me why this motorcycle was such a threat only a moment (literally) before? Oh, right, there was truly no need to panic and evacuate a city block just because. I guess it was a slow Tuesday night.

Can't wait until the Republican National Convention gets here and we have protests, bomb threats and paranoia about heightened security all over the place.

In any case, I owe some serious pictures and updates. I got my stash-reduction box today. Plus, I made an iPod cozy on Sunday. I am so behind with my posts - work, life, stuff keep getting in the way. But right now, I must go to sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home